Friday, June 17, 2005

Shadowing

(Ok, well I've been working on this nice long post, but I can't get my image-uploading program to work with me... So, you just have to do with this post until I can figure I can get some help. I know it's been awhile.)

Last week was my first week shadowing my pediatric doctor, and let me tell you, even though it was only one day, I love it. I arrived early in the morning to meet all the staff, familiarize myself with the office, and look over the day's schedule. Then the the doctor talked to me about what to expect with each child and what they had come in for that day. Then, we were off. Wash hands, talk to parent and child, ask questions, observe, listen to heart, check ears-eyes-throat, feel stomach area, etc. Depending on the if the child was in for problem, or just for a check-up, there were different things to be done. Developmental tests, waste anaylisis, vacinations, calculating perscription dosages, even trying to translate the ingredients on some italian drugs a woman had brought in. The best part was that I got to do a lot of hands on stuff, I could ask all the questions I wanted to, and that sometimes after diagnosing the doctor or nurses would let me look at a medical book to read more about a condition. I know it was only my first day there, but I really liked it, and I'm sure it will be the subject of a few blogs to come, seeing as I'll be there two days a week for the rest of the summer...Anyways, I'd better run, but IF YOU LEAVE MY BLOG AND DON'T COMMENT - BEWARE!!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

joy, i think that's awesome that you can be a shadower... some day i will be too. espero que ese dia sera mas pronto que mas tarde, pero ya lo sabes de eso...

Rachael said...

I had a cat named shadow. I wouldn't be a good doctor...unless doctors are supposed to gag and then put their head between their knees to keep from passing out.

But, I'm glad there are people out there who love helping others. Make sure you wear your rubber gloves and goggles. Oh, and a sheet of tin foil can sometimes come in handy.

babyarnie said...

I too love the medical field- only I prefer the 4 legged patients. I can think of no better doctor/surgeon/neurosurgeon/brainsurgeon etc........ than my friend JoyJoy!!

babyarnie said...

I too love the medical field- only I prefer the 4 legged patients. I can think of no better doctor/surgeon/neurosurgeon/brainsurgeon etc........ than my friend JoyJoy!!

Joy said...

Don't worry I'll label all the parts and put them in plastic bags on ice :)
Also, I don't see a big difference b/w human and animal patients....I recently found out that kids bite too. La rubia, espero tambien que ese dia sera mas pronta que mas tarde - sus padres esperan tambien, no?