Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Settling for Seconds?


How often do we just settle for 2nd, or for what is good but not the best? For example, lately I find that I will work on projects, emails, or study guides for class - but not the main subject I really need to be focusing on. I find that instead of running the set number of miles I plan, I compromise for less because I'm just "too tired". I find that I give God quick morning devotions in between my bites of cereal instead of letting Him have first priority in my day.

This morning I was super stressed out. By 10am I had already called a hotel's billing office, sent several emails, gone to the bank, completed an application, met with my program director - believe me the list goes on... Anyways, I had done everything to stress out and try to manage EXCEPT for sitting down and giving it over to God. About half way through the morning I finally gave in (or woke up!) and prayed for His help. Shockingly, everything was manageable after that, and I felt much more at peace. Silly Joy.
Sadly, I have to keep learning this lesson over and over and over again. Just this past Sunday the message was on running the race to our best. For example, not just being the "nice" friend, but being the best friend. Not just being a "good" christian, but truly being "Christ-like" even when that means we are ostracized.

This all reminds me of one of my favorite books (a gift from Terry) by John Piper, entitled "The Dangerous Duty of Delight". He speaks about Christan Hedonism, stating:
"The great problem with human beings is that we are far too easily pleased. We don't seek pleasure with nearly the resolve and passion that we should. And so we settle for mud pies of appetite instead of infinite delight... The most common denominator between living and dying is that Christ is the all-satisfying treasure that we embrace whether we live or die... If Christ's honor is our passion, the pursuit of pleasure in Him is our duty."
And I could not possibly add anything else to that!

4 comments:

Olive Wild said...

Gotta get that book!

Nikki said...

I learn that lesson over and over and over again myself!

babyarnie said...

Oh Joy. You aren't alone. The Lord has been teaching me that so often. It is amazing how different you look at your day after your devotions. Imagine THAT! If we would just DO what he says! Miss you.

Rachael said...

There is nothing wrong with getting the brown ribbon. Except that it's brown.