Monday, June 06, 2005

What a day!

OK, so I finally have a free moment to sit down and tell you all about my crazy weekend (mainly sat.)! So Saturday am. I got up, finished some tasks around mi casa, and then headed over to the church to give Jimmy his first piano lesson (ya'll encourage him). After that I spend the next several hours cleaning the church, and then made it home just in time to do a few more things around the house and get ready for the dance I was going to that evening. About twice every year I go to this dancing social that Kristen and John's church puts on. I usually go with Georgia Beck and we have a lot of fun. So anyways, I showered, dressed, and headed over to Georgia's house, from which we left, about an hour later, for a beautiful ranch off Jordan Lake where the dance was held. Long stories short, the food, company, live music, and dancing were all a lot of fun, and I could write a lot about that, but this is going to be long enough as the true 'fun' started on the way home.
First of all I feel it only fair to give you a little background. Georgia and I, while not bad drivers or direction followers, have a long record of never getting to a dance social without some sort of problem - but until this year, we've never had a problem getting home... After helping clean-up, and chatting for a bit, Georgia and I were ready to go and get some late-night food (another tradition). So we climbed in the truck and headed back down 751 to Fuquay. Well, we hadn't even been on the road for even 15 mins when, out of the corner of my eye, I see this huge white truck go into a ditch and start to come out of the ditch with his headlights aimed at us. At this point G (georgia) & I were both like, "call 911 - turn around - oh my gosh!" Luckily, we were to far ahead of him to be hit, but the dear lady behind us, and her 2000 mustang convertible were not so lucky. So as G & I raced down the road - trying to turn around, relaying all the information to the emergency dispatcher, what we didn't see was the truck, hit one side on the embankment of the ditch on its way out, it flipping to the other side to fly/skid across the road (hitting the mustang and spinning it off the road), and then make one final flip into the grass embankment on the other side of the road joining the mustang.
As soon as G & I got back to the scene, I got out and ran to the accident site.... can all you fellow CPR classmates guess what my first words were? That's right "I know first aid, may I help you?" miraculously, both the man in the truck, and the older lady checked out with no obvious injuries. The man was continuously sobbing, as he had fallen asleep at the wheel, and had a tremendous sense of guilt. I was also guessing that he might have been slightly intoxicated - especially as seeing that his hands were behind his back as he later sat in the state trooper's car. Anyways, G & I had to remain there for the next 2 hrs while the emergency people came - directing traffic, filling out reports, helping the victims - and dealing with all the people that knew us from the ball drive past, see us and freak out... Luckily, most of them were quickly pacified as we told them we were just helping and everyone was ok.
Well, eventually the cop cleared us to leave, and we finally set out, once again, for the only place that was open that late for food - Waffle House. All the adrenaline of the evening finally started to recede as we both ate a huge waffle and reflected over our most eventful ball yet... Finally getting back to my car, I drove home, showered, and literally fell into bed. But my sleep did not last for long, soon I was up again for Church, after Church it was soccer, after soccer it was movie time with friends.
Anyways, that was my weekend - wonderful, but just maybe a little too eventful...
Now, leave me some dang comments!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

Joy!! Wow. It is so great that you could help them. Thank goodness for the CPR class. It's very scary to have to help with car accidents expecially if you aren't sure of the extent of the injuries. I'm glad that everyone was ok. See you at group on Wed night. You'll have to tell me about the dance and all the happenings.

Anonymous said...

Joy, all I want to know is ... did they get, like, three feet of air?

Anonymous said...

yeah, georgia told me all about your super-eventful night too... and i'm sorry that there was a new guy at soccer.... eekkkk!!!

babyarnie said...

JUST A FEW WORDS!! I AM TRAINED IN CPR AND FIRST AID - MAY I HELP YOU???
GOOD JOB IN REMAINING CALM!