
Ok, so guess what I've been stuck in class all morning learning about? C. elegans - one of the popular model organisms in the field of genetics. We are so lucky to have professors that teach us all about distinct control expression enhancers, transcritional activators, Zn fingers, leucine zippers, fem-3 alleles, RNAi, blah, blah, blah.... Yes, some of this information is very interesting and even applicable to the medical world, or even some areas of like 'normal' life - but when you spend 2hrs talking about all the mutations, and exceptions to every genetics 'rule' that exist, and 'probabilities' it makes me want to run away! The only thing keeping me glued in that chair is the knowledge that I must graduate!!! I guess there are just some classes you have to just grin-and-bear...
4 comments:
Grooooosssssssss! Don't forget..."D=Diploma"!
Joy,
I suggest you ask one of the prof's if they've ever seen or heard of a mutation that was beneficial to the organism involved. Always good for a laugh with an evolutionist.
BTW, what sort of mutations do happen in flatworms? All I can think about is some sort of science fiction-esque enormous worm that consumes screaming Japanese people.
J, I'm suprised you don't know this, but though not the general rule of mutations, there are several, which are beneficial to the organism. For example, the female C. elegan may have mutation which allows her to be a hermaphrodite - a very good thing when there are no guys around! TMI? I thought so.
I'm eating fruit Gushers.
Post a Comment