Monday, January 28, 2008

A Week on Sunday


Well, last week (as I'm sure you've heard either from me or Martha at this point) was rather difficult. No, that's an understatement... probably one of the more difficult weeks of my life. And it's looking like this month is going to be more of the same. School is in full gear, not to mention the other small issues life brings. As I was telling Marth, you know things have been bad when is the best part of your week is your Saturday morning practicle on the male genital and prostate exam (a.k.a. using live models). Anyways...


Sunday started off with a long yawn @ 6am, but progressed much better by the time I was sitting and listening to the sermon - one I very much needed. Let me share with you some of the key points, and my bubble thoughts in italics:


(1) First of all the sermon was around Nehemiah 3-6, and about embracing discipline (I think God was laughing when I walked into this one)


(2) Heb. 12:11 "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."

Fine God, you've got my attention, but no more trials right now, OK?


(3) Mark 1:35 "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed." Lord, isn't 6:30 early enough?


(4) "God will not trust the valued, aged wine of redemptive wisdom to minds that are not subject to the daily discipline... Your ability to have authority over your physical body is the doorway to all other disciplines in your life. Until we are able to excersise discipline over our bodies through the power of the Holy Spirit, our minds and spirits will be held hostage to our appetites and passions." ~ Stanley. Honestly, can we just skip this painful discipline stuff and get straight to the wisdom part?


(5) 1 Cor. 9:24-27 "Run in such a way to get the prize...therefore I do not run aimlessly... I beat my body to make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." This is where I'm at... learning to run the race continuously, not aimlessly, but with purpose - and of course, learning not to complain so much :-)


Basically, it was a rough week ended with a some much needed reminders. I continue to grow more appreciative of my friends, family, and classmates - love you guys!

5 comments:

Rachael said...

We most definitely love you too. Joy, I have also made a concious effort to adjust some things in my life. I am finding that I am most happy when thinking about what I can do to help at church or to help serve. We are praying for you and can't wait to see you again.

ps- that photo is awesome and is now my new screensaver.

Lydia said...

Praying for your spiritual AND medical journeys!I thought it was bad the first time I had to catheter a man, I forgot about prostate exams. Poor you!

kareng said...

Love you, and keep up the good work...you can do it because when you are week you are strong, because of our indweller-the Holy Spirit!

kareng said...

I mean weak...trying to hurry

Lydia said...

You know you meant that seven days was strong:)